The title of today’s post is something I get asked all the damn time. How do I travel and save at the same time? I am about to break down all the small things I do to save so you that can leave me alone. Here are some things that you can do in order to save, without really feeling like you’re saving, before your trip even begins. Don’t say that I don’t treat you.
- £3 a day will take you away. This is my mantra for my long-term saving pot and it should be yours too. I have started putting this away in my savings account for my travels next year. You might think why such a small amount? You have to be realistic as some weeks you may not be able to save as much as others and this is a nice easy amount. It’s essential £1 from each of my daily meals. Even if you were to start today, in one year from now you would have £1095. If that doesn’t scream a trip to Miami, then I don’t know what does.
- Downgrade that phone plan. This was easy for someone like me to do, because I have no one to message or send snapchats to. I was paying £36 a month for my contract even though I was on sim-only and all I did was scroll through Instagram and Twitter all day – something I do on my workplace’s Wi-Fi anyway… So with a threat to leave them, I was changed to pay £17 a month for 20GB of internet, unlimited calls and unlimited texts. That’s a grand total of £228 saved a year aka a weekend trip to Paris. I’m not saying you should all threaten to leave your providers but maybe politely ask what downgrades they have that still suits you.
- Sell your shit. I’m a clothes hoarder. I buy things that don’t fit me and promise that I will either grow or shrink. I buy things that end up being horrible but never get round to returning them. Using different selling apps like eBay and Depop are a life saver as I’m making holiday money from the click of a button. One top sold? Flights to Milan. One handbag sold? AirBnB apid off. It’s not just clothes either, you’ll be surprised at some of the things you consider junk lying around your house that people are in need of. One man’s garbage is another man’s treasure.
- Walk walk walk. This one is short and simple. Instead of an uber or even topping up your oyster, walk where you need to go. One benefit is that it saves the earth. I know that’s not enough to swing half of you, so here’s another benefit – the body. A free workout in order to get that beach body AND you save money on getting to your destination? Win win.
- See it, believe it. I think that having a visual reminder of what you’re saving towards can be super helpful. Some people create vision boards. some people have a list up on their wall and some people have a pot on their desk that they put their savings into. I’m sure that there must be some psychology behind it… Whatever way you choose, make sure that you have a daily reminder to keep going and to save save save so you can have the time of your life.
Have you got any tips that people can implement in order to save for a trip?
Leave a comment
XOXO Gossip Elle