Welcome to the FIRST section of Interview Time with Elle Mac. I had the pleasure of interviewing an incredibly talented make up artist who has actually been doing my birthday make up since I was 20! As much as we love seeing the art that creatives make, it’s nice for us to get to know the people behind it all. Follow her on Instagram here – @MakeUpBySholaa
– For those who don’t know you please briefly introduce yourself…
I am Shola, I’m a makeup artist with over 6 years experience in the industry from glamming my dolls on the weekends to bridals and TV filming.
– You’ve gone from going round your friends and doing their make up for a night out, to working in Chloe’s salon in Brentwood and having a fantastic celebrity clientele list. How did you make such a grand transition?
It’s so crazy because you really don’t see how far you’ve come until you look back and reflect. I literally started off by doing my friend Isabella’s makeup for prom in her bedroom with literally like 5 brushes, foundation and a eyeshadow palette to working at Chloe’s salon as a Makeup Artist. I learn’t so much from working in the salon and also being mobile. I’m always trying and testing new looks and different styles of makeup constantly working on perfecting my craft.
As for clientele honestly there is no secret other than providing a good service for each and every client booking in. Word of mouth is very powerful also if someone likes your style of makeup they will book you and if there friend or family have highly recommended your services they will book you.
– What has been the hardest part about running your own business?
There’s a lot that comes with running your own business but i’d say the hardest part for me is balancing work and a social life.
– What is your signature make up look?
Inner corner highlight always! Glam eyes, full base and a nude lip.
I am telling you that when it comes to a bold eye… Shola is your girl. I have the tiniest eyelids, dare I say almost bordering on a mono-lid, so I’ve never bothered to learn the art of eye-shadow. But Shola somehow, with her magic hands, manages to create a whole piece of art of my eyelids like I’ve never seen before?!
– With so many people becoming entrepreneurs in this day and age it can be a struggle to stand out. Have you got any tips and tricks on how to create longevity?
Hmm i’d say just be yourself follow your own style because that’s what makes you stand out. No one will be able to do what you do and that is what makes you unique so you’ll naturally attract clients that are drawn to your style of makeup, as for longevity I think it just comes down to consistency and never giving up no matter how hard it gets at times
– If your make up bag could only consist of 3 items what would they be and why?
- Blotting paper – I have oily skin so blotting paper helps to minimize shine without having to apply more product
- Dior lip maximiser – It doesn’t leave my sight haha so definitely that!
- Concealer – It’s a Multi-use product so it’s always good to have
– Where do you see your business going in the next 5 years?
I mean who knows what the future holds.. I’m working on a few exciting projects at the moment so i’d say just stay tuned.
Follow Shola on Instagram here – @MakeUpBySholaa and get your appointment booked ASAP as she gets fully booked weeks in advance!
What’s your “go to” make up look?
XOXO Gossip Elle